PRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE & INTERCESSIONS for 2020:
It is in our public prayer together as the people of God that we are most united as the body of Christ. Here in worship and prayer, we raise voices and hearts to God, asking our Creator to hear our prayers and supplications, to hear the corporate longings and yearnings of God’s people. This is the heart of our response to God’s Word proclaimed and preached, our way of responding to God’s presence among us and promises to us. Again, the Worship & Arts Committee offers a weekly diary of prayers and intercessions for congregations and ministries of the Church. We include several suggestions for public intercession for each Sunday of the Church Year, beginning with the First Sunday in Advent, 2019, and extending until Christ the King Sunday, 2020. This Diary is a comprehensive attempt to include within the public prayer of our congregations, the following:
– Offices and ministries of the ELCIC and its auxiliaries
– Offices and Bishops of the Synods
– Deans and Areas of the ABT Synod
– Congregations of the ABT Synod
– Missions and special ministries within Canada
– Conventions and assemblies of the Church and Synods
– Partner churches of the ELCIC within Canada
– Schools and educational institutions of the Church
– Ecumenical agencies
– Diaconal ministers and ecumenical officers within the Synod
– Those preparing for rostered ministry
– Our Companion Synod, the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Colombia
SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO USE THESE PRAYERS:
If your congregation customarily uses INTERCESSIONS, either prepared by the pastor or by the people, you may include these suggestions within your intercessions.
If your congregation customarily uses a PASTORAL PRAYER, the pastor may incorporate these prayer suggestions in her or his Pastoral Prayer.
Corporate prayer is one of the principal tasks of the Church at worship. Prayer changes people; and people, inspired by the Holy Spirit, change things. We hope that your use of this diary of prayers will strengthen our ministry of prayer together across our Synod, and strengthen our witness to the unity of the Church through our society.
We have tried to be comprehensive in our inclusion of ministries of the church beyond the individual congregation. If you discover oversights or omissions, we would be pleased to hear of these, and are eager to include them in future public prayer diaries.
~ Synod Worship and the Arts Ministry Team
17 MAY 2020: Sixth Sunday of Easter
- for Bishop Jason Zinko of the Manitoba/ Northwestern Ontario Synod, and for the synod staff, rostered ministers, and people;
- for Rev. Matt Lyseng Dean, and the West Central Area Leadership Team, rostered ministers, and people;
- for the pastors and chaplains of health care institutions, correctional institutions, and other special ministries;
- for all church volunteers in our congregations;
- for the Southwest Area Gathering of the ABT Synod May 23;
- for Trinity Lutheran, Grande Prairie, and Redeemer Lutheran, Hanna;
- for the ministry of On Eagle’s Wings;
- for the primate, bishops, priests, and people of the Church of Sweden and the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Denmark;
- for the Right Rev. Lesley Wheeler-Dame, Anglican Bishop of the Yukon, and for the staff, priests, and people of the Anglican Diocese of the Yukon;
- for the bishops, priests, and people of the Roman Catholic Church in Canada .