~ Update: 10 March 2021
GREAT NEWS from the Call Committee
The Call Committee has selected a Primary Candidate for Pastor of Mount Olivet Lutheran Church. A Congregational Meeting was held on 21 Feb 2021 at 1:00pm (via Zoom) to consider the call and a vote was held. The vote was successful and a call has been issued. We are now simply waiting to hear back from the candidate.
Pastor Colin Millang has accepted the call to Mount Olivet Lutheran Church! He has officially signed The Letter of Call and Employment Agreement forwarded by the Bishop. Pastor Colin’s start date is April 12, 2021.
Thanks to our Treasurer Larry for arranging the administrative paperwork to employ our new pastor. We couldn’t have done it without you, and all of the many others who helped make this possible.
We wish to express our gratitude to Pastor Scott Brown, our interim minister, who provided excellent pastoral care, and who provided meaningful scripture through Living Room Liturgy, Bible studies, among his other pastoral duties, during unprecedented times.
It’s been a long year with Covid-19 restrictions, unable to share fellowship together. Praise God for blessing us with a new pastor and for helping us as we navigate the days ahead.
The Call Process
Once the Call Committee was formed, they were able to start working through the process.
- Update the congregational profile. This document is basically a ‘sales pitch’ to prospective pastors. It highlights all the wonderful programming Mount Olivet has to offer.
- Ask the congregation what they would like to see in the new Pastor. The congregation fills out a survey, results are compiled, and that important information is added to the congregational profile.
- Send the completed congregational profile to the Synod. It will take the synod at least a month to compile a list of possible pastoral candidates. Ask the congregation for candidate suggestions as well.
- Review resumes of prospective candidates. Schedule interviews with the top five or so candidates based on resumes and recommendations from the Synod and congregation.
- Conduct interviews.
- Narrow choices down to two or three candidates based on interviews and background checks. Schedule second interviews.
- Conduct second interviews. Choose the person the call committee feels will best serve the needs of our congregation.
- Schedule a congregational meeting. The congregation will be given a three week notice prior to the meeting where they will vote on whether or not to call the Pastor chosen by the Call Committee.
- If the congregation votes “yes”, then Mount Olivet will “call” that person to serve. They have four weeks to accept or reject the call.
- The new Pastor accepts the call and comes to Mount Olivet to begin ministry.
Refer to the Synod Call Process Manual or contact a Committee Member for more information (see below).